Tue, Dec 15|
Ben Avery Shooting Facility
AZ DPS Armed Guard Training 12/15/20 -12/16/20
This 16-hour armed security guard lesson plan is a firearms safety course, designed to teach the novice armed security guard the basics of gun safety, marksmanship, maintenance and familiarization, as well as legal issues related to the use of deadly physical force.
Time & Location
Dec 15, 2020, 8:00 AM – Dec 16, 2020, 4:00 PM
Ben Avery Shooting Facility, 4044 W Black Canyon Blvd, Phoenix, AZ 85086, USA
About The Event
This 16-hour armed security guard lesson plan is a firearms safety course, designed to teach
the novice armed security guard the basics of gun safety, marksmanship, maintenance and
familiarization, as well as legal issues related to the use of deadly physical force. It is also
intended to provide training on issues likely to be encountered by armed security guards
while on duty.
1. To certify armed guards to carry firearms after successfully completing a 16-hour
course of instruction.
2. To inform armed guards of escalation and de-escalation of force issues as well as using
deadly physical force as justified by law.
3. To display knowledge and proficiency of deadly force issues by passing an approved
written test with a minimum score of 100 percent at the conclusion of the class. This
requires a score of at least 70 percent on the initial test. Initial test scores below 70
percent fail the class. Students will be retested on the questions they missed until 100%
4. To display shooting proficiency by firing a minimum of fifty (50) live rounds for
qualification and achieving a score of at least 70 percent.
• Other (Appropriate clothing, drinks, snacks,etc.)
- FIREARM TYPES AND AMMUNITION
- SAFE HANDLING AND STORAGE
- LAW AND LEGAL (Mandatory 4 hours, minimum)
- WEAPON CARE AND MAINTENANCE
- MENTAL CONDITIONING and TACTICS
- WEAPON MANIPULATION AND MARKSMANSHIP
- THREAT RECOGNITION and JUDGMENTAL SHOOTING
- WRITTEN TEST
- FIREARM QUALIFICATION
The DPS initial 16 hour Armed Guard course is run in a (2) Day Succession
Proprietary armed security guards must also comply with firearms training requirements (ARS 32-2606.3(a).
Classroom Evolution Day1 - High Power Building 8 Hours
Classroom Evolution Day 2 - Activity Center 4 Hours
Range Evolution Day 2 - Practical Pistol E 4 Hours
Armed Guard Training