"Arizona's Premier CCW Training"
"Make Haste Slowly"
Tue, Feb 02|
Ben Avery Shooting Facility
AZ DPS Armed Guard Training 2/2/2021-2/3/2021
This 16-hour armed security guard lesson plan is a firearms safety course, designed to teach the novice armed security guard the basics of gun safety, marksmanship, maintenance and familiarization, as well as legal issues related to the use of deadly physical force.
Time & Location
Feb 02, 2021, 8:00 AM MST – Feb 03, 2021, 4:00 PM MST
Ben Avery Shooting Facility, 4044 W Black Canyon Blvd, Phoenix, AZ 85086, USA
About The Event
This 16-hour armed security guard lesson plan is a firearms safety course, designed to teach
the novice armed security guard the basics of gun safety, marksmanship, maintenance and
familiarization, as well as legal issues related to the use of deadly physical force. It is also
intended to provide training on issues likely to be encountered by armed security guards
while on duty.
1. To certify armed guards to carry firearms after successfully completing a 16-hour
course of instruction.
2. To inform armed guards of escalation and de-escalation of force issues as well as using
deadly physical force as justified by law.
3. To display knowledge and proficiency of deadly force issues by passing an approved
written test with a minimum score of 100 percent at the conclusion of the class. This
requires a score of at least 70 percent on the initial test. Initial test scores below 70
percent fail the class. Students will be retested on the questions they missed until 100%
4. To display shooting proficiency by firing a minimum of fifty (50) live rounds for
qualification and achieving a score of at least 70 percent.
- FIREARM TYPES AND AMMUNITION
- SAFE HANDLING AND STORAGE
- LAW AND LEGAL (Mandatory 4 hours, minimum)
- WEAPON CARE AND MAINTENANCE
- MENTAL CONDITIONING and TACTICS
- WEAPON MANIPULATION AND MARKSMANSHIP
- THREAT RECOGNITION and JUDGMENTAL SHOOTING
- WRITTEN TEST
- FIREARM QUALIFICATION
NOTE: Security guards carrying shotguns must be trained with these firearms.
Completion of the: Appropriate NRA course (shotgun) by the individual security guard OR instruction conducted by a
- NRA firearms instructor certified in shotgun is acceptable.
- AZPOST firearms instructors
Shotgun training will be a minimum of 8 hours in duration. The DPS initial 16 hour or 8 hour renewal class (as appropriate) will be taught PRIOR to shotgun training.
Proprietary armed security guards must also comply with firearms training requirements (ARS 32-2606.3(a).
Day (1) Classroom Evolution - High Power Building 8 Hours
Day (2) Classroom Evolution - High Power Building 4 Hours
Day (2) Range Evolution - Pistol Range 4
Armed Guard Training